Are Designers Better at Reading This?

Designers and Mirror Writing

Because we designers see letters more than just letters, I was wondering if reading and/or writing boustrophedon (literally, “ox-turning” in plowing) comes easier for us. An informal study says mirror writing is probably genetic and apparently only one person out of 6500 can do it. I had never thought it was a rare “gift” and even used to think if that writing style hadn’t gone out of fashion we would all be speed readers.

“To watch the corn grow, or the blossoms set;
to draw hard breath over the plough or spade;
to read, to think, to love, to pray,
are the things that make men happy.”
– John Ruskin

I think creative brains are just wired better and extraordinarily too. What do you think? Is mirror writing/reading easy for you?

• October 28th, 2011 /
  • 6 Comments

6 Comments to “Are Designers Better at Reading This?”

1. Sean Robertson says:

Took me a minute to figure out what was going on, but once I did, it was pretty easy to read.

I am a designer, FWIW, but also a programmer – I do everything from Photography to PHP. 😉

2. Grace Oris says:

Hi Sean. Thanks for dropping by. Have you tried mirror writing too and found it easy?

3. Kevin says:

Like Sean, this took me a minute to figure out (I figured each word was mirrored, but that it still read left to right, once I realized this was wrong, I got it… save I kept seeing the word ‘draw’ as ‘braw’, but I occasionally mix up ‘b’ and ‘d’ when writing by hand anyway o_0). I definitely wouldn’t be able to speed read this way though… Mind you I guess practice would help.

I can write mirrored as well, though certain letters cause me to pause and think for a second, such as ‘R’ (and ‘b’ and ‘d’)

4. Grace Oris says:

Hey Kevin,

Nah, I can’t speed read this way either, I doubt anyone could. Just thinking maybe if people read and wrote this way for centuries, it would come naturally. But then typesetting would probably be a nightmare 🙂

5. Alan says:

Wasn’t easy. With patience I was able to read it.

I was a graphic designer for few years and also an architect plus I taught both for a few years.

Like what you did with Bernadette’s IDEA MANIFESTO or was OTSEFINAM AEDI s’ettedanreB?

Alan

6. Grace Oris says:

I find it good brain exercise, Alan.

Glad you liked the manifesto. I enjoyed working on that.

(: ¡noʎ ʞuɐɥʇ